2015 Restoration Activities

  • Received lumber, bricks, and other materials for the “Lean to” rebuilding project delivered via Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore’s landing craft
  • Removed original 1867 Lighthouse “Lean to” ; the exterior structure and roof rebuilt by contractor Jerry Spears. Bricks for the “lean to” foundation came from an 1880s era paper mill in Muskegon. True dimension lumber was cut by the DNR. Battens, for the board and batten exterior, were milled to match historic materials by Thomas & Milliken Millwork of Northport
  • Installed front Boathouse doors
  • Performed Boathouse ongoing maintenance painting
  • Added temporary gutters, downspouts, and drainage tubing on both the Assistant Keepers and 1867 light to direct water away from foundations
  • Installed restored double hung window sash and single sash are installed in the 1867 Lighthouse and additional window sash removed for restoration
  • Documented 1867 Lighthouse front door and related trim for future restoration project
  • Repainted Oilhouse roof