Assistant Keepers Quarters, 1910

Located immediately west of the 1867 lighthouse, is the two-story, three-bedroom red brick Assistant Keepers Quarters. It replaced an earlier wood structure used to house Assistant Keepers required to man the original light house. The large three-apartment brick Assistant Keepers Quarters built in 1910 is a rare remaining example, with nicely tuned woodwork both inside and out. After 1913, the Lighthouse Service ceased building three-plexes in favor of single-family homes that provided more privacy. Built in 1910, it was state of the art with hot and cold running water, indoor plumbing, and electricity.

The building measures 26 feet by 61 feet, is two stories tall, and sits on a full basement. It is a masonry and wood frame building, with poured concrete foundation walls, and wood frame floors and roof. The roof material is cement and asbestos tile.

The building was well-constructed with porticos over the east and north entrances, ample single-light double-hung windows, and, originally, porches and a balcony on the south side that are now missing.

Most window and door openings have limestone lintels, but some have arched tops with a three-course brick lintel. Many of the upper window sashes have side rails that extend past the bottom rail with a multi-curved feature. Two small attic quarter-circle windows grace the east face of the building.

The building consists of three apartments. The largest, at the west end of the building, held a two-story, three-bedroom apartment with kitchen, parlor, and bath. This half of the building was usually reserved for the 1st assistant keeper and his family. The other half of the building held two one-bedroom apartments, one on each floor, each with a kitchen, parlor, and bathroom. This half of the building provided housing for the 2nd and 3rd Assistant Keepers. The bathrooms and kitchen were served by indoor plumbing, unusual for this time period in Leelanau County. The interior exhibits fine woodworking, with five-panel doors, stairways with turned spindles and finials, and wide moldings throughout. The original woodwork is mostly exposed in the larger apartment, though it is partially painted elsewhere.

The building is in very good condition for its age, although the porches and balcony originally on the south side are no longer present. It retains a high level of integrity, contributing to its historic and architectural significance.